Friday, September 21, 2012

She's Black and She's Bald!


I don't know about you guys, but I'm so sick of seeing dark skin bald models, giving the appeal that black women can't grow hair. I mean think about it, if you put enough images of bald black models, one can only assume maybe black girls can't grow hair?!

Now dont get me wrong I loved the Alek Wek look and I love the short buzz cut look, but how many Alek Wek clones can you create? They're exceptions such as Jourdan Dunn and Marihenny Passible, BUT that does not out weigh the majority. And majority rules. It almost makes it seem like the fashion is obsessed with this one look or even deeper, only capable of visualizing this androgynous look on black women. I say androgyness because short cuts especially buzz cuts are associated with masculine features. A nicer way of saying this without offending a women's femininty is saying "edgy", or their look is so edgy.

I don't have issues with adrogyness look or edgy, which ever term is preferred. I in fact think the look is totally cool and they're plenty of androgyness white models, but you get all different looks from white models. You don't just get that one stereotyped look, you got edgy girls such as: Arizona Muse, Agyness Deyn, Hanna Ben Abdesselum, Kristen McMenamy, etc. But you also have a whole bunch of softer feminine girls such as: Karlie Kloss, Natasha Poly, Jak Jagciak, Karmen Pedaru, Constance Jablonski, Natalia Vodianova. And don't even let me get to sexy bombshells, it'll go on and on. You understand me?

But it seems to be the bald edgy look is the "look" for black models. Just a few thoughts I'd like to comment about diversity in looks.


NOTE: Notice how lighter skin/mixed models seem to have the "longer hair" or take on the sexier jobs such as VS and are more "commercial". Or at least can do both "edgy" and "girl next door" looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment